About Me

My photo
I've crafted for years and years then an opportunity presented itself to turn a hobby into a business. I love the creative freedom I now have. My long term plan is to pass on my passion to others. Look out for my workshops and children's parties. Crafts include: knitting, crochet, sewing, smocking, bobbin lacemaking, sugarcraft flowers, cake making, kanzashi flowers. Looking for something special find me on Folksy.com Just type Blossombutton into the search engine.

Sunday 27 May 2012

Day 9

Final day in the sunshine.  

I promised you all that today I would complete my blog for yesterday and today.  Yesterday's blog would have been pretty short as it was an at home day.  Well technically that's not true because we had jobs to do in Funchal.  

Extreme Nose picking for a log book.
Having had a bit of a DNF (Did not Find) at the Rua ~Stanta Maria on the Artas de Portas doors we had emailed the owner of the cache and despite him saying it was missing.  He confirmed it was up the nose of the metal man and would be replacing it.  Well we went back and once more Eddie put his fingers up the metal mans' nose and retrieved the magnet log book success.  It also gave us an opportunity to look at a few more pieces of art in one or two galleries along the road.  One gallery had a particular fascination with naked men and fat ladies.  I could appreciate the fat ladies but naked male parts not a pretty sight. or at least not the way these pictures were painted and the male subject involved.





On our way into Funchal we spied a number of dots emerging from the sky from the tops of the mountains.  As they came nearer we realised that they were barking mad men who had decided, for some obscure reason, to through themselves from a high altitude with nothing more than a giant bit of plastic and a few bits of string.  Even more crazy was the fact they they were landing on the beach that was created from the floods a couple of years ago, which is right along side the promanade in Funchal.  There are a number of obsticles to overcome, lampposts, tall masts from sailing ships, the sea, and even worse people (gongozollers) who literally stood right underneath staring at the madness of these flying bags.  I am please to report that they all landed in some way and folded up their canopies into what looked like knapsacks, and went for a coffee.  Well of course, that's what you do.  'I fancy a coffee in Funchal.  I know I'll jump of this mountain with my mates and we can paraglide down and get one.'  


Anyway, job done and the long walk back for lunch at the Dolce Lima (Part of the Porto Bay Hotel Group).

Okay, I admit we had a voucher and it had to be used us.  Surprisingly we'd never been here before and had thought it was just a posh icecream shop.  Wrong!  They do sandwiches, drinks and the most scrummy pancakes.   I went for the item with the most filling and cream, the Maderia Fruits.  A large crepe filled with Banana, honey, two icecreams of my choice and chantilly cream.  Yummy, yummy.  Eddie went for an apple concoction inside with icecream and cinnamon.  
Yummy, yummy in my tummy!
Maderian Dragon Tree
Having imbibe and digested it was time to relax and have a really good read.  Okay, hands up, I admit we may have nodded off for a few minutes in the warm sun.  I was fascinated by the blackbird who kept going back and forth, presumably to the nest, with titbits for the baby birds.  The photos also show a Dragon Tree, common in Maderia and valued for its red dye.  Cocktails and nuts with Cocktail of the day being the lethal Maderian Poncha a combination of honey, lemon, and something else which knocks your socks off but don't ask me what but its strong.  

Blackbird on a mission

Eurovision was not on the entertainment schedule as there were a number of random football matches on.  No option but to retreat after our dinner on the terrace, to the comfort of our room.  We are fortunately to be able to receive BBC and ITV here which makes life much easier.  Poor old Englebert.  Nearly a nil point man.   Not a particularly good performance in my opinion. I was routing for Greece.  Bring back Cliff I say:-)


Walk with a view
 So now we come to the final day.  Another beautiful warm sunny day perfect for a stroll and maybe pick up a little plastic box along the way.  Our traditional last day walk is along the coast which takes in some spectacular views from Funchal to Camara de lobos (where Winston Churchill used to paint)  and takes in Cabo Girao reputed the highest cliff in Europe.  Apparently it now has a class platform so you can stand on it and look down.  Eddie is not going anywhere near it.  I'll give it a go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IexVR9xGaI&feature=related


The sign says beware of Rats!
Maderia was once known for its sugar cane and from sugar cane comes rum.  This particular industry has now ceased instead of which you know have tourists and the rusty remains of Maderian Industrial heritage.  The cache on this occasion was inside one of these rusty heaps. To get anywhere near this you have to pass through a 150 yard tunnel dug out during WWII as a gun emplacement.  Portugal wasn't even in the war as it was a neutral country at the time.  I was more worried that Eddie would bring out his hand with a rat attached after seeing the warning sign at the side.  Not a particulary pleasant area and the cobble stone beach is very difficult for my little feet to negotiate.  Anyway, the final destinationl, the coffee shop was in sight and our chance to sit back and watch the world pass by again before a huff and puff grunt back up and down the many steps on this journey.
Final destination the coffee shop



My feet are off the bottom, honest
 And so the end of our holiday.  Packing to be done and all that dirty washing to look forward to.  It'll be great returning home to see family and friends.  The holiday, our 8th in Maderia at Porto Bay has been another success and we've had many laughs, read many books and written many pages which I have has entertained you all and give you a little insight into this lovely island, its' culture, people, places and nature.  If you get a chance do come to the island.  You wont regret it.
Boa Norte, Obrigada (Good Night and Thank you)

Lavinia & Eddie

2 comments:

  1. I have never been to Maderia, but it looks beautiful and from all the cocktails you're describing it seems my kind of place!!! Glad you had such a good holiday. Safe journey home xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Liz. We're going to have miss Maderia over the next 18 months as we're going to be travelling to the USA two or three times.

      Delete