About Me

My photo
I've crafted for years and years then an opportunity presented itself to turn a hobby into a business. I love the creative freedom I now have. My long term plan is to pass on my passion to others. Look out for my workshops and children's parties. Crafts include: knitting, crochet, sewing, smocking, bobbin lacemaking, sugarcraft flowers, cake making, kanzashi flowers. Looking for something special find me on Folksy.com Just type Blossombutton into the search engine.

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Day 5 

On top of the world aka on top of a mountain in Maderia

And yet another day dawns with a blue sky and that lovely early morning warmth that we all wish we could enjoy all year round.  Today is yet another Levada walk this time on the highest point in Maderia Paul de Serra.  From here you can see both sides of the island.  The turbulent northers side with Sao Vincente and the peaceful pine and laurel forests of Prezeras.  

Fortunately for me not too much charging along the Via Rapida so less having to hold onto the door handle for fear of some random driver trying to crash into the side of our little car.  

Don't expect them to mooooove.
A more interesting obstacle is the Maderian Cows and calves who are frequently seen mooching along the roads in this mountainous area.  But they are so sweet and really docile.  Mind you they're not too keen on mooooving along when a car is travelling at speed towards them.  What the hurry, chill, take your time.  Wish I was a cow.  (Don't answer that dear friends)

Crazy man!
As you all know Eddie is not exactly the bravest of souls when it comes anything to do with heights.  However, today he decided, in the interests of Geocaching.com he would attempt the assault on a 18th Century look out post to get a little pot to sign the log.  The mad fool.  Good job he couldn't seen down into the valley due to cloud cover.  I certainly wasn't going to catch him but he put his hand on the cache lid, although he wasn't brave enough to sign the log.  He live to do another cache and I get to have a driver to take me back to the hotel.


So we finally managed to park the car.  Every coach, minibus, rental car and biker were at Rabacal today.  We just managed to get a parking spot thanks to the fact that we're a very little car.  Off to find a few more containers.  Must say, todays containers were much more challenging and interesting being anything but close at hand and certainly not ordinary little plastic pots.  The family will understand when I say we ended up at the Jungle Cafe. At one stage we were supposed to find a trail down 50 yards to a levada.  We chose to pass on this.  Too much cloud and a very long drop and potential loss of life.  Not worth it.

Meet my friend Daisy the cow.

Mind you the levada we did end up on was also fraught with difficulties not just boulders and stone and dodgy walk ways but my favourite creatures.  Those of you who know me will be aware of the fact that I am a bit of a cowphobic.  I have already mentioned that the cattle on this part of Maderia have free rein over the roads this also applies to the levadas.  So how do you get past a cow blocking your path by a levada.  Answer: Very carefully~!

What a fantastic day up on top of the world.  Rabacal is a brilliant place to visit and today we were bless with some fantastic weather although the cloud did prevent us seeing the valley at it very best which is just as well with Eddie suffering with vertigo.  Back to the hotel and a cocktail event with the management to thank the Prestige Clients (That us) for supporting the Porto Bay Group.  Well they do treat us really well and make us feel very special meeting all our needs including a quiet night in a comfy bed.  I'm off there now.  Another chapter to follow tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment